Friday, January 21, 2011

Who Even Uses the "Phone" Option on the iPhone?

A few days ago, I noticed a new copy of the Yellow Pages outside our front door.

I should be honest.

A few days ago, I finally contemplated picking up the new copy of the Yellow Pages outside our front door. It had actually been there for a day or two. And this is coming from someone who was at one time a big fan of the Yellow Pages back in the day. (True story: I casually flipped through it as a child- don't judge me.) My problem is not with the book itself. My problem is that it encourages the use of another device, i.e. the phone.

My boyfriend, we'll call him Doug, makes me feel guilty every single time I ignore a phone call (which it pretty often). I've tried explaining that I feel pretty confident in the people I need to be communicating with and they also appreciate efficiency. No longer do I feel burdened by answering the standard "What are you doing?" that follows every initial greeting. I'll admit it- out of habit, half the time I respond, "Nothing. What are you doing?" Text allows me to address things directly while I give bonus points for apps that allow me to complete tasks! Doug is not convinced. So for his sake, and anyone else who may be offended by my resistance to a good 'ole phone call, I give you these equally awesome alternative phone uses:

  • The ability to fake more important people to talk to with The Fake Phone Call. (I was surprised to see it in the instruction manual though!)  
  • It will buy your Starbucks. Not to be confused with pre-ordering your Starbucks. Mobile Payment allows you to literally pay with your cell phone.
  • The chance to avoid another one of life's greatest pleasures: a trip to the bank. (It's crazy to me that 98% of the time, the bank is in the opposite direction you are traveling/other side of the road/super busy intersection, etc.) No hassle for me today- just a quick front and back picture of the check and the funds were immediately in my account. Kudos Chase Quick Deposit!
Which brings me back to my first point- the Yellow Pages? I'm actively searching for ways to use my iPhone for anything but the phone. Suggestions?