Saturday, April 2, 2011

Comcast Does Care. Why Isn't It Enough?

During a recent assignment in a marketing course, I reflected on the frequent reference to Comcast's exemplary use of Twitter as a customer service medium. After monitoring tweets for a short period of time, I couldn't help but question the effectiveness of the current Comcast social media strategy. (You can find my entire commentary on the issue here.) I was somewhat surprised to find a response to my critique from @ComcastBill:

Interesting post. I saw a few things I wanted to comment on that I read in both of your students feedback.  
 
I completely agree on providing better customer service from the first phone call and all the way through the install and far beyond the customers’ expectations. We do have employees who monitor Social Media as a whole not just twitter, as myself being one of them. I do run the @comcastcares handle as well as the @comcastbill and I was shocked about hearing we were not personal as we get applauded for the great efforts of being real “humanizing the brand”. There was also another comment about not having enough handles to monitor the Twitter stream. I can honestly say we respond to just about everyone and try to help with all issues. Our team is built of 8 members from all around the company. We have some from business services to engineers and even our CDV guru. The reason the team is built this way is to provide a fast resolution time. I know that was another comment one made.  
 
Anyway, it’s good to hear teachers are including SM in their lesson plans. If you would like to chat further my email is William_Gerth@comcast.com

Even in the response, I get a pretty good feeling of the personal and human nature of @ComcastBill. I also think it's important to clarify that the major flaws I noticed during my observations were created by customers. During the initial phase of the @ComcastCares rollout on Twitter, I would argue that this was a brilliant move- considering your clients, going to where they are to provide service, all while creating a more personal connection. However, [for the record, I did monitor for a few hours before writing this post as well and witnessed the same thing] when I search #Comcast on Twitter right now and scroll through all of tweets displayed for the last nine hours, they are 95% negative. 

That doesn't mean @ComcastCares isn't working. Doesn't mean @ComcastCares isn't resolving a mass amount of customer issues. Or that 90% of the 95% negative wasn't absolutely ridiculous ("why did you turn my cable off after only being 1 month late?", "damn you for my internet going down for the past 5 minutes", etc.) 

What I am saying- as a casual observer, I'm not longer impressed by simply your presence on Twitter. Because it's now rather common, I'm now much more prone to judge the quality. And, IMHO, it appears as though customers are still demanding more.