Sunday, February 13, 2011

After the Super Bowl

During last week's post, all I could do was speculate about the upcoming Super Bowl commercials.

An update:
Although I did look for a code during the Angry Birds commercial, I came up with nada (and wasn't motivated enough to continue my search on YouTube).

The Groupon commercial? I almost missed it. After a run of really impressive ads that had been conversation starters (we actually watched the Chrysler one several times), I was bored with several unimpressive actors speaking blankly into the camera. And in the middle of their monologues, they would mention Groupon.

The punchline was just lost on me. And apparently on the majority of the general public, as Groupon announced on Thursday it would be pulling the ads, in addition to apologizing for being offensive to some.

What? Referencing social/political tragedy is offensive to people? While Groupon continues to profit?

Speaking of which, check out one business owner's not-to-positive Groupon experience- one of the most interesting reads I've come across recently.