Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's Almost Here- Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

And on this glorious Sunday, February 6, thousands will be glued to their television sets.

To get the code to unlock the secret level of Angry Birds?

Let me begin by saying I actually am a huge football fan, so I'm a little biased. I've also had conversations with Angry Bird enthusiasts, but I just don't get it (kinda like True Grit...I don't care how many awards it wins, I'll pass). However when I heard about this advertising scheme on the radio, I will admit it caught my attention.

It's fairly common knowledge that Super Bowl commercials run advertisers a pretty penny, to the tune of $2.5 million for 30 seconds of time with the viewers. Just to really break it down for you- $83,333.33 per second. The folks behind the hit mobile game app Angry Birds have partnered with the folks behind the animated movie based on Angry Birds (still with me?) to...well...get a whole lot of people to watch their Super Bowl commercial. In slow motion.

By embedding a code that unlocks a secret game level, the creators suggestion to watch the 4th quarter commercial- frame by frame- can almost be taken seriously. [To anyone at my Super Bowl party: plan on going to YouTube after with everyone else who missed the code.]

While I'd be interested in seeing what type of code Fox is expecting me to find hidden a la Highlights (remember that magazine?!), I'd rather be see what the heck Groupon plans to do with the ad time they managed to score. Oh, and did I mention- the score of the actual game?