Friday, February 11, 2011

One Very Excited Student and Some Textbooks

I woke up this morning like it was Christmas. My internship seemed to last forever. But at noon I was out of there, flying down the highway on a serious mission.

I had an iPad to pick up from FedEx.

Until recently, I was happily a part of the iPhone-only nation. It wasn't until I started pricing my textbooks for the Spring semester that I had a change of heart. Enter CourseSmart, a digital textbook provider offering course materials that can be accessed via Internet or one of Apple's addictive devices. Not only are these ebooks cheaper, but I can actually fit more than one in my bag when I head to the library. Yatzee!

With the increased popularity of other readers such as the Nook and Kindle, I was under the impression my decision was a reflection of the current market trends. A little research has proved me wrong though: even with the recent growth, the Book Industry Research Group reported ebooks account for only 8% of fiction sales in the 4th quarter of 2010.

Educational Marketer published a similar sentiment, citing that textbook rentals were still growing much more quickly than ebooks.  Personally, I don't care how easy it is the return my textbook rentals. After boxing and lugging the box to be shipped, too much work for me. But I want to know what current students think- will the standard textbook option become obsolete in the near future?

iPad readers ebooks
via Daemonsbooks